Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Monkey Island News!

E3 is going on, which means there's far more interesting news than I can keep up with, and far better venues to keep up with it than my little old blog can provide. But there's one piece of news that I just have to share less than 24 hours after I learned about it. (That's cracklin' fast journalism by my sorry standards!)

After nearly a decade of silence, forcing me to replay LucasArts' classic The Secret of Monkey Island adventure games repeatedly whenever the mood strikes, Guybrush Threepwood is returning to action, courtesy of LucasArts and Telltale Games.

There are actually TWO projects coming -- first, LucasArts is remaking the original for XBox Live Arcade, with HD graphics, voice acting and presumably some other technical improvements. It's a classic, brilliantly written and cleverly structured, and well deserving of a modern-day rerelease with a side helping of achievements.

Even better, Telltale Games (increasingly my favorite modern-day publisher) has arranged a licensing deal with LucasArts and will be releasing a brand new 5-episode Tales of Monkey Island series for PC and WiiWare. Several core members of the old LucasArts team are on hand, and Telltale's earned a sterling reputation for funny, high-quality episodic adventuring with their efforts starring Sam & Max, Wallace & Gromit, and the Homestar Runner gang. I am confident they have the mindset and skills to do the property justice.

Best of all, the first episode debuts in July already, right after I wrap up a bunch of projects and have a little time to play. No long waits for this mighty pirate!

No comments:

Post a Comment